Friday, October 31, 2008

Redistribution of Capital

I'm still a newbie in the blogging world and am not hip to how one is supposed to approach this, but I'm assuming not all blogs spew out fully formed thoughts, but rather, they're a place where one can toss out a thought and play with it...and maybe get feedback from others on whether the thoughts work for them or not. (I'm not sure if the comment thingy is working. I've changed the settings a few times and tested it and got the comment screen, so I'll hope it's there this time.)

So anyway, I continue to read Church on the Margins for class and had a thought last night that was inspired by the ongoing bickering of the two presidential candidates. It has to do with the spreading around of wealth and all that. It seems to me that a lot of the political/religious capital here in the good ol' US of A was taken in a series of power grabs that left a bunch of people in the theological dust -- if you weren't a Calvinist in New England in the 1600s to claim your stake, you were...um...burned at the stake, hanged or otherwise dealt with. While burning heretics at the stake has gone somewhat out of fashion, the bullying and spiritual killing continues today through groups with seemingly innocuous-sounding names like "Focus on the Family" and such.

These folks, the so-called religious right, have amassed entirely too much capital as far as I'm concerned, and it's built on a house of cards. Like the financial groups who dealt in subprime loans, sometimes with a 30 to 1 debt to asset ratio, many of these religious organizations are building their empire on little understood tenets that will not be able to stand up to the scrutiny of concerned citizens who decide to stop taking them at face value and really dig into what they're about.

While I'm way too lazy to organize a revolution (heck, I can't even organize a kegger without a nap), I'd like to propose a redistribution of the wealth. I'd like to find a way that we could grab some of that ill-gotten religious capital from what's truly a minority (a very vocal and frightening minority) and redistribute the wealth. I'm not sure how one would get the ball rolling, but if someone can pull it off, the first round's on me.

No comments: